Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 Do It Yourself (ers)......
 Ice machine placement, inside or outside
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rlhay

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  7:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased an ice machine and would like some advice on where to locate it. I have two choices: 1. inside an un-insulated metal utility building 2. ouside under a large lean too with plenty ventilation. I have heard that an ice machine can loose up to 50% capacity if its in an enviroment where the temperature can exceed 100, such as inside an un-insulated metal utility building. I am sure the temperature will easily exceed 100 inside the building with the heat of the summer along with the heat from the ice machine compressor. Sounds like I have already answered my own question :) Other than security, is there any good reason to put it in the building?

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2765 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  10:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You answered your own question-a no brainer! John Castelluccio, Jr.

New SUV-'06 Yukon, new 56 yoa house, new boat-'06 Avenger, Semi-retired-'07, soon to get "new-wife"-'10??? and THEN in debt for the rest of my life-Now&4-ever!!!
Go to Top of Page

fishgill
Average Member

USA
309 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  11:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is outside underneath the house. Shade helps to keep direct sun light off of the machine. Make sure there is a good place to drain the melt down as either way will cause a mess on the slabs or ground. I do notice that during the summer the ice has a tendency to melt in my freezer box and then refreeze at night causing a rather large block of ice to form in the holding bin. I went ahead and bought a chest freezer and now store bag Ice from the ice machine and take out what I need to go fishing or hunting.. The freezer ice last much longer as I have turned the unit to below zero which hard freezes the bag ice.

Go to Top of Page

rlhay

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  4:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feed back. I am really looking forward to having ice available at the camp for a change.
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  9:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
randy, what you need to do is have a water cut-off that is very easy to get to and a cut-off switch that is easy to get to so you can cut the machine off when you head home and cut it back on when you get back to the camp. we had such a setup at my old deer camp and it saved us big time. most ice machines don't take too long to make ice.

when i die bury me deep, put a bucket of bait at my feet, put a rod and reel in my hand and i will fish my way to the promised land !!!! remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children
Go to Top of Page

bobboozm
Average Member

224 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  06:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ventilation is a must, however the "stainless steel" on some makes, especially Manitowoc, gets very ugly in just a couple of years when outside in coastal areas. Hoshizki's stainless seems to be holding up better. One neighbor has a Scotsman with very little metal (mostly vinyl) that is holding up very well. Living on the water, I've learned that there is Stainless and there is Stainless. The so called stainless barbecue pits get ugly quick. I now use the magnet test. If it sticks, It ain't good stainless.

AKA Myrtle Grove Bob

Go to Top of Page

Capt Rory Rorison
Advanced Member

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  08:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will work in the metal building as long as you can ventilate it enough. The one where I keep my boat is in a shed, and used to be in a metal shed before Gustave ate it. I mounted and electric attic vent/fan on the shed that is controlled by a thermostat. It does a good job of taking the heat out. Still if it can go in an open area all the better.

Capt. Rory Rorison
United Charters
Speckled trout and
Redfish fishing charters
Shell Beach, LA
504-439-1680

Go to Top of Page

Chris V

434 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  09:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobboozm

Ventilation is a must, however the "stainless steel" on some makes, especially Manitowoc, gets very ugly in just a couple of years when outside in coastal areas. Hoshizki's stainless seems to be holding up better. One neighbor has a Scotsman with very little metal (mostly vinyl) that is holding up very well. Living on the water, I've learned that there is Stainless and there is Stainless. The so called stainless barbecue pits get ugly quick. I now use the magnet test. If it sticks, It ain't good stainless.

AKA Myrtle Grove Bob

If it is magnetic it is 400 Series Stainless. What you want is 304, 314, 316 etc.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  12:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
randy, you are making the right decision buying an ice machine. last year a friend of mine asked me to be on the lookout for 2-100 quart plus high dollar coolers. he wanted to have some that would hold ice the entire time that he was down at the camp in cocodrie. i think he was looking to pay about $1,500 per cooler. i told him to go and buy an ice machine, that he would be alot better off with a constant supply of ice rather than an ice chest

when i die bury me deep, put a bucket of bait at my feet, put a rod and reel in my hand and i will fish my way to the promised land !!!! remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children
Go to Top of Page

sullivan504
Average Member

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  11:10:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spend a hundred bucks or so on some rigid foam insulation (or spray-on for a lot more, but it's worth it if you can get it at the camp) for the shed and you'll see the ice machine perform better right away. The savings in water and electricity, not to mention reduced maintenance, should pay for that insulation in a year.

Are you going to keep this one running 24/7 or only plug it in when you're at the camp? Either way impacts the maintenance schedule and type... don't underestimate the value of clearing out the gunk that builds up in the lines. Scotsman and Hoshizaki's owner's manuals really don't tell you how to keep the machines in top shape, or at least they didn't when I bought mine. Learned more from the service technician in one hour than the information I was able to get from the manuals and google combined.
Go to Top of Page

JD
Advanced Member

777 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  08:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ours is under the camp in the shade. We have it on a timer. It comes on at noon on Friday and turns off at noon on Sunday. Once a year give it a good cleaning.

The biggest problem with the ambient air is the bin. An ice maker storage bin is just a big ice chest. It relies only on the ice to keep it cold. We take ice from the ice maker and store it in 6 gal buckets in a chest freezer. We use the ice from the freezer first and rotate in new ice maker ice.

We also glued on some 1" styrofoam sheets to the ice maker bin.

Go to Top of Page

Outsideallthetime
Administrator

1855 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  9:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like with a little "getting together" the REAL WORLD ENGINEERING of a great ice maker can be developed.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000