Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 Boats / Motors / Boating Equipment
 Hanko's, Gaudet's, etc
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chacahoula Tiger
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  10:07:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys.........I'm curious, what is an approximate price for a 17V hull from one of the custom producers without motor? I know that the price is dependent upon what you want in terms of c***pit layout, but I'm just trying to get a sense of the cost right now.

ricejumper
Starting Member

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  11:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recall someone telling me the rule of thumb was $1K/foot for custom built aluminum...so about $17K if following this generalization. The price of alum has changed since then though.
Go to Top of Page

jumbo_crab
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  11:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i was shopping around for a nice custom aluminum hull, around 3 years back, the general quote for just a hull was about $1000 a foot.. at last year's boat show, i went specifically to seriously pursue a new hanko's 20ft. hull, and walked out because the price was way more than i had expected.. quite more than $1000 a foot.. then you have to consider rigging and power.. i found the one i have by just waiting out the used boat market.. they don't come up very often, maybe two or three a year locally, but if you see the right deal you have to jump fast.. i watched classified for about two years and finally got the one i needed.. the add popped up, i called and arranged a meeting the next day, and when i got to the guys house he had three offers on the boat already over the phone.. i gave him a deposit that day and a week later when i went to pick it up and pay it off, he had been offered multiple offers if he would back out of my deal.. the resale market on custom aluminum boats is fierce so if you go that route be ready to move. the reason i was looking at the hanko's last year is i thought i'd sell the one i bought for a brand new shiney one since i needed to repower anyway, but it turned out to be much, much cheaper to just repower the hull i had. the morning i went to the boatshow to look at the new hanko's, i put my hull up for sale on the internet and i had three calls before i even made it to the boat show.. i had to take the add down fast since i realized what the market was for these type of hulls.. anyway, i know you just asked for prices, but i thought you might want a little more info..
Go to Top of Page

jumbo_crab
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  11:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was typing while ricejumper was posting so we pretty much confirm each other's post of around or better than $1000 a ft.
Go to Top of Page

Chacahoula Tiger
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  4:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jumbo and Rice.........you've answered my question.
Go to Top of Page

Trout
Average Member

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  11:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chacahoula tiger: I have owned a Guadet's custom built 23 ft boat and if you don't mind I would like to warn you, about any of the big "flat boats". Even though they all talk about the hull designs being based on Rnager bay boats and other popular bay designs, these boats do not ride or handle like it. They ride rough, will bounce your teeth out, they ride very wet in even a small chop, and in my opinion, they can be dangerous. I sold mine to a gentleman who uses the boat on the river and bayous in the basin. These boats are not good for use in open water including bays, they can get swamped too easily. Hope Im not bursting a bubble, just don't want to see anybody drown - these boats have a place - bayous/rivers. You can email me personally for more info if you would like. I do not want to be percieved as bashing anyone's product.

Rodney Hesson
Go to Top of Page

Chacahoula Tiger
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  4:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rodney. I appreciate the feedback. That's why I asked the question............to get as many first hand experiences as possible. I will definately be crossing bays.
Go to Top of Page

wdkerek
Average Member

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  10:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that some of the older boats beat you up.
But the larger boats built with reverse chines are better. Now it could be argued that they are not "bay boats" in the truese sense.

I am having a Gaudet's built now..........I wanted that out there to be honest. It was 1200 a foot.

I have saved and looked and investigated for ten years for this boat. I looked hard at Hankos, Scullys, Lifetyme, Leanard,Breaux, some home made ........

the larger Gravois and the Gaudet's rode the best in the 22' foot range.
It is my opinion that Hardly anything 20 or less rides "great and dry" in all conditions.
then again, it the right conditions anything rides great.

Heck, my brother has a fiberglass 18 footer that has a rough time getting across Maurepas.

Tiger there is a small 18 foot Gravois at a place in Broussard for 5500. It's older and has been repainted no motor of course........

you rarely see these boats for sale used, and there is a reason for that!!
Rodney is right though, aluminum is not for everyone when you want to cross big water.

damain
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000