Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 Hunting Equipment / Gear
 Replacing the Forend on Browning Gold
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bobboozm
Average Member

224 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  08:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Mossy Oak Shadow Grass Camo finish on the Forend of my Browning Gold shotgun has rubbed off and I have decided to replace it with a solid black one. I will have to replace it with one from Browning because none of the aftermarket suppliers offer one for this model. Browning has it in stock and will ship it, but in their catalog, there is a foot note saying "must be fitted by an authorized Browning dealer". The Browning customer service agent I talked to confirmed this. I can't imagine how/why a forend would require special fitting? I replaced the stock and the forend on an older Winchester with an aftermarket set purchased from Cabelas and it fit perfectly. Anyone have experience with this?

AKA Myrtle Grove Bob

Chris V

434 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  11:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can go to Shotgunworld.com and look under the Browning section for some help. Or you can refinish it yourself following these threads. Good Luck Bob.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36000&sid=449e2651079cc81cda5e5951efc6a2db

Chris
Go to Top of Page

bobboozm
Average Member

224 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  09:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris V, thanks a bunch for the info, especially the step by step on how to paint. I only looked at the first and last of the 14 pages. Will check all 14 out soon. Great info. I don't think I will attempt to duplicate the Shadow Grass finish, but a solid color on just the forearm should be fairly easy. The camo finish on the rest of the gun is in good shape. I had already decided to replace the original forearm with a black one. I watched the guys at Gator Tail apply the Camo finish to my motor and they used a piece of branch just like the guy did with the gun. I may try to do something like that to the deck of my mud boat as shown in that same topic. When I purchased the gun there was a notice in the box that warned "Insect repellant containing deet may damage the finish on this product". I knew then that this was not a good sign. I bought a big supply of Natrapel which does not contain deet, but I can't swear that I never, ever used deet. A large section of the finish rubbed off exposing the bare white plastic ruining the appearance of the gun.

Also, is there any difference in a forend and a forearm? Thanks

AKA Myrtle Grove Bob

Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  11:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They just don't make a gun to take the beating of the Louisiana Marsh

when i die bury me deep, put a bucket of bait at my feet, put a rod and reel in my hand and i will fish my way to the promised land !!!! remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children
Go to Top of Page

bobboozm
Average Member

224 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  07:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the time to scroll through all 14 pages and 333 posts on the "How to paint a shotgun" topic on the Duck Hunting chat link. First there is a step by step from the administrator. It is followed by many questions and answers and a lot of pictures submitted over several years. It really looks like it is something the average person could do. My barrel and stock are in good shape, but I will refinish the forend myself. If anyone has an old gun that they want to make look new, they should check this out.

AKA Myrtle Grove Bob

Go to Top of Page

Chris V

434 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  08:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes you wonder what DEET has in it? Maybe that explains the mosquito I saw two weeks ago that had numbers on it's wings!

My experience with Browning products has been hit and miss. Was there also a warning not to get it wet?
I have an old Mossburg 500 I hand painted back in the 80's with a Treebark pattern when ole Bill Jordan first came out with it. I had that shotgun in the back of my buddy's 53 Jeep and we hit a bump and broke the stock at the heel. I fiberglassed it back together and painted it with Testor model paints.
It eventually had the 28" modified barrel replaced with a 24" VR that accepted screwin chokes and it also got a mercury weight in the tube and a spring loaded adjustable pad in the stock. It weighs a lot and serves double duty as my Turkey and close range Coyote gun. If Frankenstein had a shotgun it would be this one.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Coffeepot Bill
Advanced Member

USA
3973 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  9:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Coffeepot Bill a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobboozm

Chris V, thanks a bunch for the info, especially the step by step on how to paint. I only looked at the first and last of the 14 pages. Will check all 14 out soon. Great info. I don't think I will attempt to duplicate the Shadow Grass finish, but a solid color on just the forearm should be fairly easy. The camo finish on the rest of the gun is in good shape. I had already decided to replace the original forearm with a black one. I watched the guys at Gator Tail apply the Camo finish to my motor and they used a piece of branch just like the guy did with the gun. I may try to do something like that to the deck of my mud boat as shown in that same topic. When I purchased the gun there was a notice in the box that warned "Insect repellant containing deet may damage the finish on this product". I knew then that this was not a good sign. I bought a big supply of Natrapel which does not contain deet, but I can't swear that I never, ever used deet. A large section of the finish rubbed off exposing the bare white plastic ruining the appearance of the gun.

Also, is there any difference in a forend and a forearm? Thanks

AKA Myrtle Grove Bob

Hey Bob use to do it with some of my mother,s fern leaves and a few basic cammo shades ... Great patterns from mother nature ...

COFFEEPOT BILL
Go to Top of Page

bobboozm
Average Member

224 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  08:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, that is actually what they do. They use pieces of branches with leaves and spray over them. I watched the guy at Gator Tail put the camo finish on my then new mud motor and he used a branch with leaves to spray over to get the effect. I decided to just paint the forend a drab green and it looks pretty good against the Shadow Grass barrel and receiver. If the paint wears off I will paint it again. I can always buy a shadow grass forend from Browning for $100.00

AKA Myrtle Grove Bob

Go to Top of Page

Outsideallthetime
Administrator

1855 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  09:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is this probably "electrostatic dip" process that leaves a perfect paint job that is as tough as nails......and there are stencils out there in all sorts of patterns.

Go to Top of Page

Coffeepot Bill
Advanced Member

USA
3973 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  12:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Coffeepot Bill a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobboozm

Bill, that is actually what they do. They use pieces of branches with leaves and spray over them. I watched the guy at Gator Tail put the camo finish on my then new mud motor and he used a branch with leaves to spray over to get the effect. I decided to just paint the forend a drab green and it looks pretty good against the Shadow Grass barrel and receiver. If the paint wears off I will paint it again. I can always buy a shadow grass forend from Browning for $100.00

AKA Myrtle Grove Bob

GETTING READY TO COME YOUR WAY TARGET PRACTICE DAY SOON ...

COFFEEPOT BILL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000