Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 Fishing Tackle / Gear
 Treble hooks/live bait?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NAU-SEA

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  7:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it legal to use a treble hook with live bait in LA? It is not legal in MS. Just curious. Thanks.

Lem

62 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  8:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes..

Go to Top of Page

RR41mag
Advanced Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  8:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NAU-SEA it's legal in Miss now to use treble hooks.

Go to Top of Page

wanna
Advanced Member

USA
1118 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  8:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Treble hooks also offer the highest survival rate for fish that are released.

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.
*h. jackson browne*
Go to Top of Page

winkfish
Advanced Member

1001 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  08:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Treble hooks also offer the highest survival rate for fish that are released."

Wanna, just curious why that is.

Go to Top of Page

wanna
Advanced Member

USA
1118 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  8:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno why but I read about it here:

http://www.seagrantfish.lsu.edu/resources/factsheets/speckledtrout.htm

If I had to bet I'd bet it's because they don't swallow it far enough to get gut hooked.

I see I mis-spoke a bit... trout caught on treble hooks on artificial baits have the highest survival rates. Treble + bait = a lower survival rate.

*h. jackson browne*

Edited by - wanna on 06/25/2007 20:42:51
Go to Top of Page

winkfish
Advanced Member

1001 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  08:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great link, Wanna. A lot more good info than just "treble hooks"!

Go to Top of Page

LA Sportsman

USA
556 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  09:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wanna, that was very informative. Gets me wondering... are the trout in MS any different. Why do they have a 14" min length then?

Go to Top of Page

brother in law

52 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  11:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanna, trebles with bait have a lower survival rate than artificals, but a higher survival rate than a single hooks with bait. The reason is there is a higher % of fish that get gut hooked with a single hook (easier to get it deeper in their mouth).
LA Sportsman, I don't think MS specs are different, there is just less of them and our scientist are smarter than theirs. A 14" limit is a feel good measure that the science doesn't support.

Go to Top of Page

LA Sportsman

USA
556 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  1:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a hunch, I went online to find the regulations for specks in Florida. Min Length 15" Bag limit 4-5 depending on location. Limit one trout per person over 20" . Makes me happy I live in LA. Oh one other thing, they have a closed season too.

Go to Top of Page

Born4Fishing1
Average Member

236 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  5:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

are the trout in MS any different. Why do they have a 14" min length then?

no different. just not as many and the people who set the limits are jerks

Go to Top of Page

Troutman
Average Member

318 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  10:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not jerks. Marine biologist doing their jobs.

MS does not have the same estuary that LA has... cannot support a 12" size.

Go to Top of Page

Team Seein Spots

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  11:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not jerks. Marine biologist doing their jobs.

MS does not have the same estuary that LA has... cannot support a 12" size.

Very true. Think about it...the coastline of MS...the ENTIRE coastline...doesn't have as much water as Delacroix alone. The Biloxi Marsh...or LA marsh...whatever you wanna call it...is in LA waters...as are most of the islands that the MS fishermen fish. Pascagoula has some decent marsh...but again...not much of it. Back Bay Biloxi is a popular spot...but isn't nearly the size of Lake Borgne. Bay St. Louis...same thing. That about covers the inshore fishing areas of MS. Guess that's why I live in MS, and don't even have a MS fishing license...no sense having a license for something I don't intend to take part in!

You may think FL has as much/more water than LA...but you'd be wrong there. The MARSH of LA is an incredible nursery for so many types of maring life...not only fish such as specks and reds...but also the forage upon which they feed...such as shrimp, baitfish, and crabs. FL has very little in the way of marsh...not to mention the fact that they have very little in the way of a shelf compared to LA. MS does at least have shallow water, just limited in marsh areas. Another thing to consider is the oilfield structures that we have...not just the offshore structures that are so attractive to offshore specied...but the thousands of inshore platforms that attract and hold trout and reds...such as the ones in Black Bay, Lake Borgne, Lake P, and the plethera of other inshore bays and lakes that contain small platforms. You won't find that in any other state, either. Like them or not, they attract and maintain healthy fish populations.

Fishhead
Go to Top of Page

Team Seein Spots

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  12:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way...the "jerks"(marine biologists)in LA also have different rules for Calcasieu Lake...15 per person...and there is an upper slot limit as well in Calcasieu Lake. A lot of people think that is a "feel good" measure as well...and they might be right. I don't know much about the fishery there, as I have yet to find any reason to fish anywhere other than SE LA.

Fishhead

Edited by - Team Seein Spots on 07/04/2007 00:04:50
Go to Top of Page

brother in law

52 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  11:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a marine biologist, but I have a nephew that is. He has a PhD and teaches at Univ. of South Alabama so I have gotten some interesting info from him. Based on everything I hear and read, the 12" limit is based on normal survival rates and sexual maturity. If you want more fish in the water, lowering the creel number is much more effective than the size limit once you reach 12". I have never hear or read anything about the effect of an upper slot limit for trout. Maybe that is a test.

Boy this has pretty far from treble hooks.

Go to Top of Page

boxman
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  9:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Team Seein Spots~
I'd certainly have to agree with you about LA having more marsh than FL, but I'm not sure if I follow you on the thought that FL has less "water than LA." Are you talking about tidal shoreline or general coastline, and are you talking strictly about a Gulf coast comparison? If you are referring to tidal shoreline in a Gulf-only comparison, then again, I agree with you. However, if you are referring to a general coastline comparison for the Gulf, or a comparison which includes Florida's Atlantic tidal shoreline or general coastline, then I would respectfully disagree with your assertion.

Either way, no state can match Alaska for overall marine shoreline!

Later~ boxman

Go to Top of Page

boxman
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  9:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
brother in law~
I agree, this thread has gone far afield of treble hooks/live bait.

I guess I'm guilty of perpetuating topic ambiguity!

Later~ boxman

Go to Top of Page

Team Seein Spots

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  9:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alaska...that's not fair! But Florida? What I mean is this...the coastline of Florida is...for the most part...a straight line on either side of the state. Our coastline is very different than anywhere else in the country. Let's just start in...say...Delacroix. Think about the water around Delacroix. To the south, you have ENDLESS marsh all the way to Venice...and beyond if you decided to take a right when you get to Venice. To the north/northeast, you have marsh all the way to the very northern end of the Biloxi/LA marsh. Think about all of the bays and lakes, bayous, canals, marsh ponds, etc, that you find just right there in the area within 25 miles of Delacroix. That's just scratching the surface. Move down to Venice and do the same thing to GI. Then from GI, do the same thing to the Atchafalaya...then to the Sabine River. From the GOM at GI, there is marsh and wetlands all the way up to Highway 90...and then some. That's not counting anything around Lake Pontchartrain/Lake Borgne. Pretty much everything south of I-10 is marsh and wetlands, and PLENTY north of I-10 is too. Along the coast of Florida, there's the beach along the Atlantic, and VERY little beyond that on the east side. The Gulf side has a little more to offer, but not NEARLY the marsh and wetlands that LA has. Most of Florida's coastline looks like MS's coastline...except prettier beaches and water. Nothing but beach with the occasional bay or river/creek. I wasn't speaking in absolute facts when I said that, but I'd be willing to bet I'm not far off in terms of who has more square miles of coastline...with ours being so varied...squiggly...for lack of a better word.

Fishhead
Go to Top of Page

wanna
Advanced Member

USA
1118 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  11:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard it said that because of our innumerable inlets, islands etc... we have the nation's second longest SHORELINE (Alaska = #1) even though we rank far down the list on the length of our COASTLINE.

Zat make sense?

*h. jackson browne*
Go to Top of Page

Coffeepot Bill
Advanced Member

USA
3985 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  09:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Coffeepot Bill a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WHAT SIZE TREBLE HOOK DO YOU USE FOR TROUT ...
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LIVE BAIT ...

COFFEEPOTBILL
Go to Top of Page

Team Seein Spots

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  1:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've heard it said that because of our innumerable inlets, islands etc... we have the nation's second longest SHORELINE (Alaska = #1) even though we rank far down the list on the length of our COASTLINE.

Zat make sense?

*h. jackson browne*

Zats what I was trying to say!

Fishhead
Go to Top of Page

boxman
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  5:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Team Seein Spots & wanna~
According to the information contained within this link - http://www.teachervision.fen.com/maps/bodies-of-water/725.html - the shorline ranking stacks up as such: #1) Alaska, #2) Florida, and #3) Louisiana. Of course, these stats are subject to constant change, thanks in large part to the loss of coastline that takes place each year at the hands of hurricanes and other environmental conditions/events.

The little bit I know about LA is this: the drive across I-10 is absolutely gorgeous, and the woods around Mansfield are steeped w/ Civil War history (I metal detected there some 15+ years ago).

Later~ boxman

Go to Top of Page

Team Seein Spots

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  08:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Team Seein Spots & wanna~
According to the information contained within this link - http://www.teachervision.fen.com/maps/bodies-of-water/725.html - the shorline ranking stacks up as such: #1) Alaska, #2) Florida, and #3) Louisiana. Of course, these stats are subject to constant change, thanks in large part to the loss of coastline that takes place each year at the hands of hurricanes and other environmental conditions/events.

The little bit I know about LA is this: the drive across I-10 is absolutely gorgeous, and the woods around Mansfield are steeped w/ Civil War history (I metal detected there some 15+ years ago).

Later~ boxman

Showoff!!! The point was/is this. Florida doesn't have nearly as much "speckled trout" water as LA. In fact, the original point was that MS doesn't have nearly as much "speckled trout" water as LA...of course, the REAL original point was about treble hooks...then we...especially me...totally HIJACKED this thread! Oh well, at least it flowed!

Fishhead
Go to Top of Page

boxman
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL!!

Hey, we could have looped the original thread about treble hooks into our sidetracked discussion by stating something along the lines of, "While fishing in LA, the state with the most speckled trout waters, with a treble hook..."

I know, I'm warped! But you're right Team Seein Spots, it flowed. And it was fun!

Later~ boxman

Go to Top of Page

brother in law

52 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  09:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CoffeepotBill, when it comes to treble hook size I take the advise of Dudley Vandenbore. He uses #6 3x-4x. That seems small but he catches some pretty big fish. It works for me. My favorite live is shrimp followed by c***ahoes.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000