Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 Boats / Motors / Boating Equipment
 mud boats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

speckkiller

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  06:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I've been reading through some of the threads here this morning and decided to join. I've been reading up on Louisiana boat building and I plan on building a pirogue later this year or early next year. My question is though, what do you guys know about mud boats? I've seen a few different designs. I like the inboard ones and I'm guess I'm curious as to how to go about building or buying one. I'm not really in the position financially to do either, but one day I would like to. I've also seen the surface drive mud boats like the ones with go-devil and mud buddy, or Ronnie's super mudboats (www.ronniesairboats.com)
I've heard Kirk Matherne builds some. Team Persuasion doesn't seem to have an updated site. Other than that, the only other resource I've found is airboat-transportation.com

Another idea I like is the marshrider (www.marshrider.com).

Anyway, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.
- Matt

Edited by - speckkiller on 09/02/2006 06:09:19

Da Hammer
Average Member

304 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  09:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a FIRM beleiver in Gator Trax boats made in Springfield, LA. I currently run an 17' Gator Trax with a 35 HP hyperdrive on it. To me the mud boats with outboards on them are more versitale than a mud boat. Yes, a mudboat will go faster than an outboard style mud motor, but how fast do you need to go in the dark when you can't see very well where you are going? Also, with an outboard type motor, if you hit and area of mud that isn't favorable to the prop (when you are in no water situations), you can move the prop over a couple of feet and find an area where the prop can grab better. With a mudboat you are not moving the prop anywhere. I think depending on the kind of hunting you do both have their place, but I have run both and much prefer the mud motors in leiu of a mud boat. If you have more specific questions, please reply, I can try and elaborate in more detail as I am sure many on this board can also do.

Go to Top of Page

jwbryce
Administrator

USA
1194 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  09:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with hammer. A mud boat may be easier to "drive", but the hyperdrive types are more versatile in adverse conditions. Many times, I have used the tail to pivot around and get back to where the prop would bite better. Hope this helps. The newer outdrives are even easier than the old go-devils that we had. Even seen a few with power trim.

2003 21 bay champ 250 hpdi yamaha.MMSI# 338043944.
Go to Top of Page

JD
Advanced Member

777 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  12:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can try these guys for a boat plan to build your own.
http://www.bertaut.com/boat.html
For a commercial built, check with Kurt's or Kirk's in Des Allmands

Edited by - jd on 09/03/2006 09:41:26
Go to Top of Page

pooldoo73
Average Member

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  10:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Send pooldoo73 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I built a mud boat about 5 years ago for our duck lease. I can send you pics and any other info you would like to know. My boat was 18 feet long by 5 feet wide. Depending on the conditions you will be in, a true inboard mud boat may not be best for your application. If you need something for the mud, no sand and not many stumps, then a mudboat is what you want. If you need something to get you through water lillies, a mud boat is the ticket. If you are in the swamp, you want one of the other drives.

With that said, my mudboat didn't start running really well until a go-devil, etc. would already be stuck. Water lillies CANNOT grow thick enough or tall enough to even be a second thought.

Now, let me run up on a sand bar and I have to get out and push in thigh deep water. A lot of stumps will be hell on my drive train. THe prop WILL NOT kick up out the water.

THe drive train in my boat consisted of a GM V-8 305, a 1:1 velvet drive transmission to a 14" diameter by 14" pitch stainless steel weedless prop. THe shaft was 1.5" stainless.

Go to Top of Page

speckkiller

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  06:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I built a mud boat about 5 years ago for our duck lease. I can send you pics and any other info you would like to know. My boat was 18 feet long by 5 feet wide. Depending on the conditions you will be in, a true inboard mud boat may not be best for your application. If you need something for the mud, no sand and not many stumps, then a mudboat is what you want. If you need something to get you through water lillies, a mud boat is the ticket. If you are in the swamp, you want one of the other drives.

With that said, my mudboat didn't start running really well until a go-devil, etc. would already be stuck. Water lillies CANNOT grow thick enough or tall enough to even be a second thought.

Now, let me run up on a sand bar and I have to get out and push in thigh deep water. A lot of stumps will be hell on my drive train. THe prop WILL NOT kick up out the water.

THe drive train in my boat consisted of a GM V-8 305, a 1:1 velvet drive transmission to a 14" diameter by 14" pitch stainless steel weedless prop. THe shaft was 1.5" stainless.

Thanks to all of you for the information. I agree, going anywhere with stumps and other obastacles is certainly go-devil/mud buddy domain. I've even seen a remote steer option on the mud buddy motors, which is nice if you want to use the boat for fishing as well as hunting. I like idea of the twin go-devil setup for that too, but it doesn't appear to have a remote steer option. It would still be good for fishing flats, not sure I'd take it in rough water if I didn't have to though, like across a lake.
Pooldool, I would like to see some pictures if you wouldn't mind sending them. My email is matthew.melancon at gmail dot com
I wrote it like that to try and avoid spam bots. Just replace the at and dot and take out the spaces. Thanks in advance for the pics.
If I think of any other questions, I'll send you an e-mail. I'm at work now, but I'll be back at home later today, so I'll have more free time to think about it then.
Best regards,
Matt

Go to Top of Page

speckkiller

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  3:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am a FIRM beleiver in Gator Trax boats made in Springfield, LA. I currently run an 17' Gator Trax with a 35 HP hyperdrive on it. To me the mud boats with outboards on them are more versitale than a mud boat. Yes, a mudboat will go faster than an outboard style mud motor, but how fast do you need to go in the dark when you can't see very well where you are going? Also, with an outboard type motor, if you hit and area of mud that isn't favorable to the prop (when you are in no water situations), you can move the prop over a couple of feet and find an area where the prop can grab better. With a mudboat you are not moving the prop anywhere. I think depending on the kind of hunting you do both have their place, but I have run both and much prefer the mud motors in leiu of a mud boat. If you have more specific questions, please reply, I can try and elaborate in more detail as I am sure many on this board can also do.

I have looked at the hyperdrive before, as well as the go-devils. Do you think a long tail motor would be easier to move the prop over with than a surface drive like the hyperdrive motor? Another thing I noticed was the remote steer option on the hyperdrive, which would be nice, but I don't think it would be as easy to do what you were talking about as it would with a regular tiller model, especially if you'd go with hydraulic steering, but then again, I haven't used one to know for sure.
Go-devil has a nice twin motor option, but they don't have any remote steer option like mud buddy does.
Thanks,
Matt

Go to Top of Page

furduknfish
Advanced Member

628 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  07:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at these babies:
http://www.reelfootcustomcamo.com/machete_boats.htm

I am sure they are not cheap though...

Later,
Fur

Go to Top of Page

speckkiller

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  12:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Take a look at these babies:
http://www.reelfootcustomcamo.com/machete_boats.htm

I am sure they are not cheap though...

Later,
Fur

Thanks Fur, they look pretty cool. But you're right, bet they're not cheap, just like Ronnie's Super Mud Boats or those from airboat-transportation.com. I'm not sure Team Persuasion is still in business, but even theirs start at 15 grand or so.
Anyway, thanks for the link.
-Matt

Go to Top of Page

Da Hammer
Average Member

304 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speckiller,
After spending about 23 years in a longtail motor, and the last 1.5 in a hyperdrive there are a few differences. First off is speed, my former boat was a 15'42" with a 23 longtail, it did about 16 mph with just me, my dog, and a normal hunting load of decoys and stuff. Add a second person and gear and you were down to about 13, add a third person and gear and you felt like you could be in a mardi gras parade going down the bayou. With a hyperdrive/surface drive, with just me in the boat, a 17'44" and a 35 hyper, with just me, the dog and gear I do about 28, with two people and gear, I do about 25 and with three people and gear about 21-23. For plain speed there is no comparison. However in my mind the longtail is not a complete dinosour. With 4" or more of water, the hyperdrive will out do the longtail hands down. HOWEVER when you get less than 4" of water to mud and no water the long tail will get you out of this situation ALL the time (assuming no sand, and just coffee grounds for mud), a surface drive motor will get you out 98% of the time and the other times you will need a long 2X4 to use to wedge yourself along until the motor can grab. I have added a shim to my motor to get the prop lower in the mud this year which is supposed to make a big difference. I also ordered a cavitation plate for the hyper which is supposed to also make such a lack of water situation more dooable. I can let you know when we start getting lower water situations how this all works. To me in low water situations, the hyper is just so nice as it doesn't beat the heck out of you, it's just plain easy to drive and I feel confident in it that I won't get left high and dry although I wouldn't tell you that it is a 100% garuntee. In low water, you will get a work out with a long tail. Oh and in awnser to your question, yes you could move the long tail further to the side to get "good mud". Also if it were me I would have no use for a steering wheel, I like being able to look back and see what is going on, what level the prop is at. With a steering wheel you won't have that. Also I think feeling the motor to know what is going on is also important, for me I just have no interest in a steering wheel, but that's probably just me.

Go to Top of Page

GD-user

7 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  07:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love my Go-Devil surface drive boat/motor. Over a soft bottom, water is practically is an option. My envioronment is mostly shallow/soft, with some sandy shoals, which I can clear if I have a running start and 2-3" of water.
If you get a GD, though, don't expect the company to ever show any appreciation. I have emailed and written repeatedly to brag and got no answer. I still love the gear, I'm just am aggravated with the company philosophy.

Go to Top of Page

Sandman1
Advanced Member

USA
1184 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  5:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You dont see many big mudboats any more, I guess because of cost and the improvements in go devils and surface drives. We used to run to 18 ft. mudboats with 350 chevy v-8's. Those were bad dudes. Water wasn't really necessary to run them with the 21 inch bronze prop.

We were only the second biggest boats in the marsh. One group had one about 20 foot with a 454 v-8. He had the crown for baddest boat in the marsh.

Is it time for a cold beer yet?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000