Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 Boats / Motors / Boating Equipment
 Yamaha Vmax 150 question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

just4fun

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  9:27:28 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I may be on to the boat I want, so here is my question. 05 Blazer Bay 2220 with a 150 Vmax, is this a good combination? Are there any issues with Vmax motors? And what's the difference between Vmax and regular 150 2s? You guys are great! I appreciate all the input you offer. I am learning tons. Its been about 8 yrs since my last boat. Alot has changed!

Tygersman

5 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  10:54:22 PM  Show Profile
Never owned one but I've fished in one, and it was a nice boat. Never owned a VMAX either, but I haven't heard of any trouble. I'd be more worried about the motor being undersized for the boat.

I saw this on another forum:
"The regular carbureted Yamaha V6 150 has a 1.86 final gear ratio; the carbureted VMAX 150 has a 2.00."
Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  03:10:01 AM  Show Profile
the v max is a bass boat engine, it has a shorter shaft than a saltwater engine. john pabst explained it to me a couple of years ago. ed

remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children
Go to Top of Page

Art

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  12:52:20 PM  Show Profile
My sister has a 2170 Blazer, with the two of us heavy weights,plus eguipment, top speed is 42, not GPS. That's max rpm of 5200.She has a F-150 Yami. Now the 2220 is a heavier boat,I'm wondering what the VMax will do.

Arthur Frey
Go to Top of Page

Bassinkid10

9 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  7:14:46 PM  Show Profile
I have a Skeeter with a VMAX 150 EFI, not the HPDI. I love the engine, it is an 01, but it has started every time I turn the key. I tried a new prop and got even more speed out of the motor. I would highly suggest a Yami.

Pete

Maybe For Sure
Go to Top of Page

just4fun

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  8:26:17 PM  Show Profile
Thats good information guys. I was wanting to hear from some of the people who have the 150s 2s on 22' boats to find out what the real performance is on that big a boat. I hear that the blazer Bay's are a little liter then equal length boats for the most part, true or no? If so, then maybe the 150 won't be under powered. ?? Speaking with the owner he claims the 2220 will run 49 with him and a 2nd person with average load of gear and full tank, at 5800 rpm. ??? Sound right? He didn't say if that was gps or speedo. 4 people loaded down he says expect about 42 all out. and cruise at 30 at 3500 to 4000 rpm. ?? I don't want a dog, but don't have to have the fastest boat on the water, even though I would love that. Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

doc beatty
Advanced Member

USA
1187 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  4:54:37 PM  Show Profile
I had a 2000 150 v-max carbed on a bass hull. 3 power heads later yamaha got it right but heck I sold it and went black. I probably got a lemon but it fried 3 times in 1.5 years. They all make an occasional lemon but I had enough after 3 times. The might Yamaha reputation is not what it used to be.

Take a friend fishing
Go to Top of Page

JD
Advanced Member

777 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  8:17:05 PM  Show Profile
The VMax is just a 20" shaft outboard. Nothing more.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1578 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  12:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Jim, I have the 150 Hp Yamaha HPDI (on a 19' bayboat), and one of my fishing buddies has the 150 Hp Yamaha V-Max (on a 19'Ranger bass boat). Basically the same engine except the shorter shaft on the V-Max like some of the guys said. Mine is a 2004 model and my friend's is also a 2004. We both have about 100 hours on them and no problems. They're much more fuel efficient than the carb versions, and quieter. Start 1st crank every time. The whole shot is so good, better hold onto something when you give it the gas. I get about 4.25 mpg on mine if I don't run it WOT. I cruise at ~45-48 mph. Some 4 strokers get 6 mpg if you don't run them too hard. But, 4 strokes drop fuel efficienty badly if you run them hard.

"Pete" - Live every day like there's no tomorrow - go fishing!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000