Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Conservation and Political Issues
 Conservation Issues
 Southeast La Trout Limits
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trout
Average Member

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  8:27:46 PM  Show Profile
I recommend we form a discussion such as in a forum like this to deal with potential chnages to trout regulations along the line of those made in Southwest LA. As the primary member of the wildlife commission stated as he pressed legislation against public opinion (people distracted by storm recovery), "this was a grass roots movement." Lets generate a discussion about this and maybe produce an ongoing petition that exemplifies the stance of the recreational fisherman and the commercial guides.

Who knew the changes to trout regulations were being considered before they actually were and then quickly passed for Southeast LA? I assure you the same could happen in Southeast LA.

Trout

Rodney Hesson

Outsideallthetime
Administrator

1855 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  8:52:57 PM  Show Profile
I again ask you to name the proponents for change so we know who we are dealing with......also,, if the "commisssion' or wildlife people ask or propose change, what data do we have to fight that? Are we just asking for "more bounty"? if the fisherie(s) won't support it then what are we asking/fighting for?

Go to Top of Page

daydreamfisherman
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  9:31:08 PM  Show Profile
I would have just liked a little heads up that the limits were going down here before they did. I had to find out one day when i was going fishing, and that was only because that person had been checked by a gamewarden and told him the new limit.

Go to Top of Page

Trout
Average Member

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  9:54:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm saying we should be prepared to face a move such as the one pulled in Southwest LA. Melancon was a fire breather who basically said the changes in speck regs were inevitable - in an online conversation on the Louisiana Sportstman web site. Are you asking me what data their is available to fight a chnage in speck regs? I ask then, are not the proponents of change to come forward with the essential aspects what they are seeking? The burden of reason lies with the proponents of a change. I may be misunderstanding what you were asking

Trout

[/quote]

Rodney Hesson
Go to Top of Page

Trout
Average Member

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  9:56:29 PM  Show Profile
Where do you fish?

Rodney Hesson
Go to Top of Page

daydreamfisherman
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  10:22:18 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if the last question was meant for me, but i fish Calasieu lake and the cameron jetties mostly. will start fishing my way toward the sabine.

Go to Top of Page

Trout
Average Member

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  10:32:04 PM  Show Profile
Daydream: Can you explain the need for chnages to a trout fishery that by all accounts was improving in terms of stock? If not, then what would you recommend we do "over here" to reduce the likelihood of this occurring?

Trout

Rodney Hesson
Go to Top of Page

Outsideallthetime
Administrator

1855 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  10:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Bottom line is you guys are undergoing a change and I am willing to understand or accept or fight that change but if you plan to argue that change you are "behind the times". If it has ALREADY TAKEN PLACE then what do you need out of us?

Go to Top of Page

Trout
Average Member

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  11:23:10 PM  Show Profile
Outsideallthetime,

I am from Slidell and fish everything from Lake Pontchartrain/Catherine to Empire, then Grande Ilse and some more. This is not a change I am trying to fix after the fact. I'm saying we need to consider organizing prior to the wildlife comission's next move to change trout limits in Southeast LA.

Rodney Hesson
Go to Top of Page

Outsideallthetime
Administrator

1855 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  11:40:16 PM  Show Profile
So what is the ".....wildlife commission's next move to change trout limits in Southeast LA?...." where do they get their data.....duh, probably from biologists. How do YOU propose to change "their" mind? If you think an "internet based poll" or an "internet based petiton" is going to help you transfer "knowledge (ie, your opinion)" to your STATE WILDLIFE COMMISSION AND AGENCY, then you need to know more about science and scientific basis of statistical polling, and how your governmental process functions.

You say we need to "organize"...who is "we"? do you belong to a conservaation group or are you a commercial fisherman that has representation? And what is the time frame that this commission will "....move on" limits for whatever you are talking about?

This is difficult to follow, but you may have the answers.

Go to Top of Page

daydreamfisherman
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  12:13:46 AM  Show Profile
i personally don't know why they decreased the limits. My inital thought was because of hurricane Rita, but if that were true, katrina would have screwed the fishing in yalls area also. the habitat is doing great, the only thing i could maybe think to cause the decrease would be the amount of fresh water that moved into the lakes and bays around here. for a while, most of the water was fresh, that used to be salt. Now it is pretty much back to normal. Honestly no one i knew, knew about the limit change. it really took talking to someone on big lake to find out the new limits.

Go to Top of Page

Trout
Average Member

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  12:39:04 AM  Show Profile
Outsideallthetime:

Listening to your statements I believe you are unaware of how the changes to the trout fishery in Southwest LA occurred. The fact that their was NO data attributed to the changes was the key issue. Ask Mike Lane, we spoke one evening at length about this. Also, Mike has an article about this that may help you with the history of this issue, I suggest you look it up in the archives. Melancon (LDWF Commission member) was the primary representative who was forcing the issue down the commission's throats. When asked by LDWF biologists, LSU Sea Grant biologists, and LA Wildlife Federation representatives (who were listening to biologists), he summarily replied: The proposal should go through so long as their is no data that this change would negatively effect the trout fishery.

So the mantra here is "if it does not do harm to the resource, lets pass laws that change how we regulate it to improve profit, for an incrimately small fraction of the public at the expense of every licensed saltwater fisherman in Louisiana.

I don't think most of the members of the commission have their mind made up one way or the other as of yet so there is opportunity to let them know we won't let this sort of change occur without hard core analysis that meets solid criteria. The internet via this website would provide a meeting place, random if you will, that can lead to individuals contacting me or others (there are many others upset about the way things went down at Big Lake)to get fax numbers, email and mailing addresses,phone numbers, and Commission meeting times. Understand, I am talking about a preventive effort that builds over time.

Polls and the rest you said: If you search the archives of Melancon (Board member LDWF)on louisianasportsman.com you would see the sarcasm, tit for tat fighting and arrogance of a board member who was defending himself vehemently - online. Polls don't typically exist for this kind of legislative change, if they had we would not be discussing this issue becuase public opinion among fisherman would have turned the commission the other direction.

"we need to "organize"...who is "we"? I would define "we" as the majority of individuals visiting this website frequently who obviously have an intense interest in policies affecting the speckled trout fishery. In addition, I would define "we" as those who believe those appointed by the governor to provide objective and conscientious protection over our states natural resources and our right to their harvest, must respect the manner in which regulations are made.

Rodney Hesson
Go to Top of Page

snipe401
Average Member

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  9:52:26 PM  Show Profile
I think the real problem is that the public is forced to defend the current limits against biologist bought and paid for by the state. Our tax dollars are being used to undermine US. It is no longer a case of the Wildlife and Fisheries changing the rules because they have just cause. Most of us don't trust their statistics. They have lost credibility with the public, and now cater to the commercial fishing lobby.

The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Division really needs to work on it's public image. Educate the public about whats going on. Show proof what they are saying is true. Get the public behind them BEFORE they start proposing changes.

Go to Top of Page

fatheadreddead
Starting Member

41 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:15:41 PM  Show Profile
Okay, let's look at it from the limits of people fishing. I, personally, always found the regulations rather abstract. Although I do not know much about the regulatory functions of this commission, it seems in our best interest that leaving more fish would only work by also posting heavier regulations on other fish -- in retrospect having larger restrictions on the trout population also cause less shrimp to be available:

more trout = more shrimp/minnows eaten = causes decreased numbers in other species already regulated?

Perhaps I'm way off the lines with my way of thinking -- by all means if I am, hound me. It just seems logical that reducing the number of catch would impact much more than just 1species of fish.

-Fatty

Go to Top of Page

Trout
Average Member

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  2:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Fatty: Yeah, in fact, without any real process whatsoever, why don't we limit the number of shrimp that can be caught by anyone. In fact, lets follow the wildlife and CCA's approach to management of speckled trout and come up with an arbitrary number, lets sayyyy, ummmm, - two. Yeah, that sounds good, lets put the limit at two shrimp per any person. And hey, when people suggest we use "sound management practices" we can just say, "unless you can demonstrate this chnage in shrimp limits would cause harm, then shut-up!" Then, the waters, in your theory, would be teaming with shrimp and trout would be soooo thick we would have to wear helmets to avoid injury from the silver wonders slamming us in the head as they jumped in the boat. Ahhh, life is grand.

Rodney
Okay, let's look at it from the limits of people fishing. I, personally, always found the regulations rather abstract. Although I do not know much about the regulatory functions of this commission, it seems in our best interest that leaving more fish would only work by also posting heavier regulations on other fish -- in retrospect having larger restrictions on the trout population also cause less shrimp to be available:

more trout = more shrimp/minnows eaten = causes decreased numbers in other species already regulated?

Perhaps I'm way off the lines with my way of thinking -- by all means if I am, hound me. It just seems logical that reducing the number of catch would impact much more than just 1species of fish.

-Fatty

[/quote]

Rodney Hesson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000