Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 Boats / Motors / Boating Equipment
 push poles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  12:55:20 AM  Show Profile
what length do you think that one needs on a push pole??

remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children

Wesley

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  06:06:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ed, I made one about 15 ft and it seems about right for me and my 17' 6" boat. I think that flats boats with a poling platform will need a longer pole. Storage for the pole is still a problem for me but it really feels good to have it on board. Depending what material the pole is made from, you could start out long and cut off some after you try it out. I need to swap my PVC pole for something else, maybe wood but it's goone be heavier.
Wesley

Go to Top of Page

Blazer
Advanced Member

USA
2651 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  09:01:42 AM  Show Profile
I know there are a few, but I've never seen a push pole used in the Louisiana marsh. Seems like too much deep, soft mud compared to those nice sandy bottoms in the Florida and Texas flats.

I carry a 10 foot PVC pole with a point on one end and a "T" on the other end. I use it to stick in the mud as an anchor. I have used it to get unstuck before, pushing the "T" end down and it always goes very deep in the mud. I just cannot see trying to pole in that muck.

How do you guys do it?

Edited by - Blazer on 08/31/2006 09:02:37
Go to Top of Page

furduknfish
Advanced Member

628 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  09:11:24 AM  Show Profile
Ed,

You could take out a second mortagage and get one of those graphite/titanium 20 foot stiffy's that the FL guys use and cut to length! Couldn't resist...

It's gettin hard to find those long (12'+) closet rods, but they make a nice balance between cost/strength/weight. I always thought the PVC was too weak and strengthing it ended up taking away cost/weight benefits.

I now use one of the collapsable aluminum jobs from Academy. It is Octagonal so there is no pain trying to line up the spring pins/holes and it extends to 12 feet. I think they run bout $25 and you could drill new holes to adjust length to a perfect fit. On the down side, I have bent it pushing way too hard through the muck.

Later,
Fur

Go to Top of Page

Da Hammer
Average Member

304 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  10:40:36 AM  Show Profile
Ed, I prefer 12-15' no matter what size boat I am in. I use them ALL the time, however I am a duck hunter to. Rarley do I need them fishing, but hunting they are a neccesity.

Go to Top of Page

Triple Diamonds
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  6:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Ed. Academy sells a two piece aluminum pole, threaded male fits inside female, duck bill base, about 12'. I thinks its about #39.00

Richie LeBlanc
Go to Top of Page

DeceiverBob
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  9:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Length depends on use. If you are just going to use it to push off the occasional mud or sandbar then the 12' poles should be fine. For sight fishing when your poling all day the longer the better, I carry a 22' on my 18' boat, If I poled more I would get a 24'. The longer pole lets you walk your hands down it further so you don't have to pick-up and reset it as much.

Go to Top of Page

pooldoo73
Average Member

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  10:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Send pooldoo73 an AOL message
You can make your own push pole and shorten it until you get a length you are comfortable with. You can buy the head from most sporting goods stores and get a pole from Home Depot. They have several different size poles, just get the one that fits your hand the best and cut it to length after you try it out.

Go to Top of Page

Geaux_Coastal
Advanced Member

USA
716 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  2:55:27 PM  Show Profile
PUSH POLES...
Hey Ed, The neatest one I saw in use was a POLE VAULT. It was in use by Preston Clark in a Bassmaster Tourney and he had stated that a local high school coach had given it to him. It seemed to be sturdy, yet lightweight enough and easy to handle. I've been thinking about trying to round up one for my own use. I would assume you could cut it to the length needed and add any kind of ends you need to it.

Go to Top of Page

stevenmusumeche

94 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  8:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Send stevenmusumeche an AOL message
I have a 15 foot collapsable pole from Academy but I have so far found it worthless around here. It goes straight into the mud or shells and doesn't stop (all 15 feet of it) and doesn't move my boat. I have an 18 foot bay boat, so it's not THAT heavy. Has anyone had any success using these things in the LA marsh? I think if there was a wider "foot" it might work better, but the current design just cuts the mud like a knife. I've had to get out the boat and push because of this.

Go to Top of Page

Wesley

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  06:15:21 AM  Show Profile
Don't know what the real name is but I call it a Duck Foot. Bought at Big Buck in Hattiesburg. I slid it insided the 1.5" PVC conduit and put a bolt through it. When you push it in the mud, the two flukes open and give a big foot print. Works great. It's what it was made for. Downside, it's made of metal, and it can be noisy.
Wesley

Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  1:50:31 PM  Show Profile
wesley i went ahead and bought the same length curtain rod that i had on my old push pole. i use a gator foot on the end it is made by united plastic moulding who also makes the norton brass rattler. it is plastic and is very quiet. ed

remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  11:44:24 PM  Show Profile
blazer, we have been using push poles in the marsh for the last 20 years. those of us who have skinny water boats use them all the time. we get up into the little ponds and slaughter the reds!!! i think that you have been hanging around bob bocciao too long!!!

Go to Top of Page

stevenmusumeche

94 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  5:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Send stevenmusumeche an AOL message
Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.aquamasters.com/duckfoot.htm

I wonder if they have them at Academy or somewhere else in New Orleans?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  3:53:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm just getting into fishing the back waters of the Southern NC coast. I'm not sure I want or need a pole, but would like to try one. I don't want to snd $150.00+ for something I can't use. I was told by a local shop that a guy in the area made them from wood and was a lot cheaper that figerglass. But he doesn't make them anymore. Anyone know what kind of wood would you use?? I would think it would have to been strong & lite??

Go to Top of Page

Big John
Advanced Member

USA
1201 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  07:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Get a push pole. I fished on another guys boat and he didn't have one. We fished a little cove and the tide dropped and we got stuck. I had to get out and give it a push. It only took one good shove and we were off. A push pole would have kept me from getting wet.

Old Fishermen Never Die, They just smell that way !
Go to Top of Page

pooldoo73
Average Member

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  1:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Send pooldoo73 an AOL message
SkifferJim, get you one of those "duck foots" like on the aquamasters website mentioned above. Then go to lumber section at Home Depot and and find the round wooden poles in the molding section. Buy one that fits your hand well and isn't too flimsy. One of the poles will barely fit into the end of the "duck foot", that is the pole we always use. Bolt it to the foot and you are ready to go. Paint it if you like. You won't break the pole by pushing on it unless you are trying to push your truck up the boat landing with it.

Go to Top of Page

kevdog

9 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  8:13:07 PM  Show Profile
Puglia's on Vets has the duck's foot poles, but telescoping and fixed length. They're on the stairs.

Go to Top of Page

kevdog

9 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  8:13:47 PM  Show Profile
Puglia's on Vets has the duck's foot poles, both telescoping and fixed length. They're on the stairs.

Go to Top of Page

Big John
Advanced Member

USA
1201 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  12:21:22 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.aquamasters.com/duckfoot.htm

I wonder if they have them at Academy or somewhere else in New Orleans?

I have one exactly like this. Works like a charm and it is light and easy to use. Worth every penny

Old Fishermen Never Die, They just smell that way !

Edited by - big john on 09/18/2006 00:22:06
Go to Top of Page

dhudson29
Average Member

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  11:21:25 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mount a push pole when not in use?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000