Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Conservation and Political Issues
 Conservation Issues
 Out-State license fees
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  11:16:42 PM  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me the history of the outrageously high license fees Alabama charges us Louisianians? The fee is currently $60 for a freshwater amd saltwater license for a few days. A day's fishing off the state park pier at Gulf Shores would have cost me $60. I know Louisiana has plenty of black marks against it, and I think our out-state fees are too high, but $60 is punitive. Did we do something THAT bad?

SlabQuest

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  08:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Send SlabQuest a Yahoo! Message
I may be wrong about this but I thought that a license was not required for a non-resident to fish from a public pier in AL.
As for the non-resident cost it looks like their prices are about the same that LA charges non-residents.

Politicians want to substitute the judgement of government for that of citizens.
Go to Top of Page

Banditt
Average Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  09:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Banditt a Yahoo! Message

Some privately owned public fishing piers require a state liscense, and
some don't. In the Mobile area, the Dauphin Island pier does require a
state fishing liscense, and the cedar point public pier doesn't. The Meaher state park pier on the Mobile causeway does require a state liscense. Its always best to call the pier before you make the trip.

Go to Top of Page

Mrs. Redfish

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  7:16:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you mentioned this, I'm going to Dauphin Island tommorrow.I really don't feel like paying $60 for a couple of days. Guess I'll have to check. Thanks

Get da Net!!!
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  9:56:06 PM  Show Profile
oh yes know you are learning the problem, the other states are charging louisiana residents, what louisiana charges non-residents . now you are feeling the bite of it. louisiana raised their non resident license for mississippi and other states, not because they needed the money, but because the politician's needed more money to rip off the sportsman. if la would just for once try to crack down on the graft and coruption. the state would run a whole lot better. but this has been going on since huey p. and probabaly be going on forever. ed

IT'S JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE, WHERE EVERY DAY IS A HOLIDAY, EVERY MEAL A BANQUET AND EVERY PAYCHECK A FORTUNE.
Go to Top of Page

KJNDIVER

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  10:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Send KJNDIVER an AOL message  Send KJNDIVER a Yahoo! Message
Dont be mad at Bama, LA was the first to raise out of state rates on licenses. The rest just did the same to spite us, as out of state licenses from states besides LA i think are much cheaper. Cant blame them though, we started it.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an
erection make him a sandwich...

Go to Top of Page

Sandman1
Advanced Member

USA
1184 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  07:36:08 AM  Show Profile
I agree LA probably went overboard with the price increases, but for many years our neighboring states were really putting the screws to those of us who hunt out of state, while LA barely charged anything for out of state fishing or hunting licenses. So after buying $200 and $250 out of state hunting license for years, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy.

Is it time for a cold beer yet?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2004 :  2:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Ed is right on the money. Alabama only charges what LA charges AL fisherman. If you go to the Alabama Wildlife page it clearly states that there Out of State fishing license are determined by the state you are form. If you are from MS and go to AL. AL will only charge you what MS charges AL residents. Its actually quite fair when you really look at.
What we need is a quad state fishing license system. If LA, TX, MS, AL and FL, (the only gulf of mexico states)(yeah OK quint states, but quad sounds better) got together and poolled their resources they could set non-resident fees aimed and those yankee bastards and not us. All four of those states would benefit in the long run. You should be able to buy a Gulf of Mexico and inland shores fishing license for any state bordering the Gulf of Mexico. Yeah some might say that LA or TX has better fishing than the other states, but each has something to offer. If youv'e ever been to the everglades or Key West, you cant deny how good the fishing is. And wouldn't it be nice if all of us could go there and fish for the same price.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

146 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2004 :  3:10:56 PM  Show Profile
Unless the laws have changed in Alabama, im pretty sure that you need a license to fish from a public pier. My dad found out the hard way when I was about 12 fishing from the public pier in Gulf Shores. I just fished in Lake Michigan last week and I paid $14 for a two day license in Wisconsin. I think thats not to bad a price.

"I think Nick Saban is one of the finest coaches that I've ever been associated with. He taught me a lot about defense. I learned more from him than he learned from me." - Bill Belichick

http://photos.yahoo.com/redfishkillers
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2004 :  4:43:41 PM  Show Profile
being a mississippi resident, it costs me $32 per year for texas, $32 per year for alabama, and $32 per year for florida, it actually doesn't cost that much more to fish louisiana, but the state law says i have to buy a freshwater license in addition to the saltwater, so the total is $90 per year. ed

IT'S JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE, WHERE EVERY DAY IS A HOLIDAY, EVERY MEAL A BANQUET AND EVERY PAYCHECK A FORTUNE.
Go to Top of Page

melba

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  08:48:45 AM  Show Profile
Lets say you live primarily in miss,but you own a camp in La.Is there anyway to fudge the residency thing?My wifes uncle owns a camp in shell beach and lives in houston.He said he could probably get away with it,but didn't want to take the chance.I say why not lower the price of fishing licsences to those who own at least one piece of property in La. Wouldn't that be fair?After all at some point your spending money and have investments here!! To me they just want the extra money from the out of state residence fees.Don't take a brainscientist to figure out that one!

Smoke um if got um!

Edited by - melba on 07/29/2004 08:54:59
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  10:29:13 AM  Show Profile
he would need to get a louisiana drivers license, register to vote in la, put la tags on his cars etc. a friend of mine did that and then was turned in by his neighbors for having la plates in mississippi. i say just pay the $90 per year and not worry about. ed

ALWAYS REMEBER, WE DID NOT INHERIT THESE GREAT OUTDOOR RESOURCES FROM OUR FOREFATHERS. WE ARE JUST BORROWING THEM FROM OUR CHILDREN
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  10:32:44 AM  Show Profile
also we need to bring this subject up in january and contact our legislators when they are in session, not now. oh and i almost forgot the reason louisiana gave for the increase which took place about five years ago. that due to the low price of crude oil the state was not getting enough revenue out of the oilfields to fund ldf. what about now, they ought to be getting enough today. ed

ALWAYS REMEBER, WE DID NOT INHERIT THESE GREAT OUTDOOR RESOURCES FROM OUR FOREFATHERS. WE ARE JUST BORROWING THEM FROM OUR CHILDREN
Go to Top of Page

wanna
Advanced Member

USA
1118 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  11:19:56 PM  Show Profile
The public demands more from the state service agencies such as DWF. Those services cost money.

The legislators are happy to increase costs on people from out of state because the visitors don't vote here. It's much like the higher tax rates you'll find at hotels & motels. The trick is to raise the rates enough to generate revenue without causing the number of out-of-state licenses to decrease to the point that there's a net loss of income.

So far they sell more and more out of state licenses each year so it's not liklely to change. The income has continued to increase. The services have increased.

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.
*h. jackson browne*
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  8:20:23 PM  Show Profile
now here is the real kicker, in mississippi we have historically made more money off of out of state freshwater license's than we have made off of out of state huntin' license's. in fact we make more money out of out of state fishin' license's than we do on instate license's for everything else. most of our out of state license's are sold to tennesse residents, and arkansas residents. ed

DON'T WORRY BOUT' DE MULE BOY, JUST LOAD DE WAGON!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

robertlewis
Average Member

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  8:25:48 PM  Show Profile
Im the President of a hunting club in Mississippi and spend $620.00 per year on hunting lease,food plots,club Utilities and stand material. I spent $21,000.00 on a bay boat 3 years ago so Im not gonna complain about spending $90.00 to be able to fish Louisiana waters because it is an awsome place to fish.

fisheyefool
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  9:31:27 PM  Show Profile
i certainly agree with you that for us mississippi residents to pay $90 per year to fish lousiana
ain't no problem. about a month ago i was stopped by two game wardens in bayou petit calliou, i had my license and made a comment that i had paid my $90. one of the wardens said well if you think that is bad you need to look at what texas charges. i then pulled out of my wallet a non resident texas saltwater licence and showed him the price $32.00 which is the same i pay in alabama and florida. he told me that could not be right, i asked him why. he said that it costs hime $90 to fish texas. i told him they charge you what you charge them . ed

Go to Top of Page

melba

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  10:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Bet ya he did't like to hear that! But fair is fair, can't say ya wrong their.LOL

Smoke um if ya got um!

Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  10:30:48 PM  Show Profile
no the warden didn't, but then again he did not set the prices, the legislature did. ed

Go to Top of Page

dozerman
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  8:32:33 PM  Show Profile
i kinda like the agreement between oklahoma and texas
if your over the age of 65
it dosen't cost you anything to fish in the other state

gene thomas
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  08:25:00 AM  Show Profile
that is something i have to explain to folks from mississippi who go fishing with me in la, even though they are over 65 they still have to buy a license in la. ed

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000